Thursday, August 21, 2014

Hodge Podge of Coincidences and I Like to Iron



I realized something in the last couple of days that I never thought before. I like to iron. I don't iron for myself. I wear mostly tshirts and shorts or jeans. Lately though I've been spending time spiffying up items of clothing or fabric that I'm selling and really enjoying it. I love the idea of taking something thrifted and wrinkled and transforming it into a like new version of itself.

Something else I realized is that you can iron the dust jacket of a book. You know those people that iron gift wrap and reuse it? Well, I got a book yesterday and the dust jacket has a lot of creases. I wondered to myself could I iron it? It's kind of like wrapping paper. I put my iron on the lowest setting and used a thin towel to protect the dust jacket. It worked!



Coincidences.

This morning I listened to an old NPR story on coincidences. Afterwards here is what happened.

Today I realized you can iron a dust jacket...sort of a weird use for an iron. Yes, I know I already mentioned this but it's pertinent to the story. Later on today I listed to an old Scavenger Life podcast in which Ryanne discovers she can use an iron to remove some damage out of a vinyl chair...weird hunh?

in the same podcast she talks about a weird coincidence she'd experienced earlier in the week. She'd been reading a blogpost I wrote about the weird Kraft promotion I experienced and she returned home to find the same package in her mail! I can't even begin to calculate how many coincidences occurred and how circular it all was. Has my mind reeling..is it just me ;) Any weird coincidences ever happened in your life?

6 comments:

  1. If there was an ironing olympics, my mother would have taken the gold medal. She was a champion ironer. Me? Not so much. If I have to iron it, I don't buy it. I love your antique iron though. Is it part of your personal collection? We have a a mini sized one that belonged to hubby's mother when she was a child in Europe. It's one of our curio treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The antique iron is a picture I pulled off of wikimedia commons. My own iron is not so charming. Did you mom have any special tools for ironing? For myself I don't buy things that have to be ironed either. If I accidentally do they tend to sit in my closet unworn. Not sure why I feel differently about the ebay stuff.

      Delete
  2. and what's even weirder is that the Kraft coincidence is what happened to me originally. i read your blog on the train ride home about the Velveeta. then we got home and there was my box of velveeta waiting for me. totally weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird!

      And normally I don't listen to the older podcasts but I've listened to all of the newer ones two times so I randomly picked one and ended up with the one with you ironing vinyl and getting a surprise from velvet. I haven't cooked mine. Have you? What did you do with the apron? I was going to maybe try to sell it on ebay but they weren't selling for much.

      Delete
    2. i think we gave away both the apron and the box of shells. while i admit that velveeta shells are pretty damn good, i couldn't bring myself to keep it around.

      Delete
    3. Yeah. I don't blame you. It's not exactly what I strive for in my diet either :)

      Delete