Sunday, December 14, 2014

How Much Money Do You Have Sitting At The Bottom Of That Pile

I have these items that I buy. After researching them I regret the purchase. We all have these don't we? They sit and they sit. I don't re-donate them. I don't list them. They gather dust and make me feel guilty every time I see them. Well lately I've focused on getting them listed  or donated. Giving them one last chance.

It's amazed me how many of these have sold and how much money I have made just listing things I have had for over a year (more like 2). I'm showing them below and adding up how much money I made. These were since Oct 25th. Most weren't huge sellers but that's okay because they are now out of my home and someone is appreciating them. And I have a little more cash.

Club Pan (I thought maybe I wanted to keep this for myself…)
14.99


Vintage Nickelodeon Magazine with Rosie ODonnel cover
9.99

Blues Clues Plush (I thought it was too pilly to sell)
19.99

Ceramic Baked Potato Serving Piece (I even tried to sell this for a quarter at my rummage sale. It didn't sell.)
12.99

Vintage Model Kit (I couldn't tell if it was all there)
50.00

That's $107.96 for stuff that has been gathering dust for at least 2 years. 

For each thing I had some reason why I wasn't listing it. For instance for the model kit I wasn't 100 percent sure it was all there. The instructions were in another language and I didn't feel like figuring out based on the pictures if all of the pieces were there. Well as you can see that was definitely worth listing even though I had to say I wasn't sure it was complete. It was the only one like it on ebay and sold for good money. A lot of times it boils down to insecurity. I think my object isn't good enough or not as great as I thought it was when I purchased it. So lesson learned. Either donate it or list it. Don't let stuff just sit around. It may be worth some cash and is definitely taking up precious space in my house and in my brain. 

Do you do this? Or are you good about re-donating things you wish you hadn't purchased? If you do this too, try an experiment. Just list those items once and for all. Give them a couple of months to sell and then set them free (re-donate) if they don't. Maybe you have $100 waiting for you. 





23 comments:

  1. When I first saw the baked potato I thought it was a shoe. Ha. :-)

    And I definitely have had box(es) of stuff that weren't as great upon second inspection as I had hoped when purchasing . . . and agree that they take up space in both my house and my brain. Cleaning them out, one way or the other, always feels really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you said that I can see a shoe too :)

      Delete
  2. That't like checking the washer and finding $100 in there!!!
    Yes, I have more than one pile like that. For example, I purchased a Little Mermaid keyboard with the animated figures.One of the figures is broken, but can easily be glued and listed with that info, but I have had it for...oh...12 or 18 months.....I can't seem to get it listed because this year it is selling for $15-25 and last year it was selling for $100+. Ouch!! that hurts. Maybe I am just punishing myself because I see it all the time and wish I could kick myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds just like something I would do. Quit kicking yourself and just list it and get rid of it.

      Delete
  3. I don't have stuff like that at the bottom of my pile...I have (small) piles of stuff like that. I'll start to list it and talk myself out of it. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Get through one of those piles this week.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like what I do too....I have been listing some things that I've had around awhile....I'll just have to keep at it! ~~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep it up Pam! I'll try to keep it up too. You all are inspiring me to keep going.

      Delete
  5. I used to send the little things to a lady that sold on commission for me but she has slacked off so the stuff has piled up. Thanks for the reminder to just list it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article Nancy. I have a lot of things that I need to go through that I bought when I first started to really sell on ebay. Most of it is over 3 years old. It's just sitting there being ignored. But I have made the decision that it will get listed, even if it isn't (or I don't think it is) worth much $. Better to make something, than nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. Seems to have hit a chord with a lot of people.

      Delete
  7. I so needed to read this post. I have been putting off listing for two years now.
    I have totes full of vintage stuff that I REALLY need to either list or donate or do something with. I am a true bonafide procrastinator.
    I lost my job a few years ago and have a booth where I sell some of my treasure hunt finds, but I keep telling myself I could make more money if I would just bite the bullet and start back on Ebay.
    THanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do both. I have my "not worth it, going back" pile, and my "won't make as much as I thought, but will eventually list" pile :) Congrats on your sales!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smart move. Sometimes I think I might as well make ten dollars on an item as to donate it. Sometimes not. Depends upon whether its the kind of item I like to lst, which is not clothing. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda :) I wish I had some sales like you've been having lately!

      Delete
  10. Well, pretty much all I have in inventory is a bunch of fails. I've listed almost everything I have over and over, marked it down, listed it again, tried other venues. I either have crap or I'm just unlucky. So, come the new year, it all goes to the flea market with me. I will either start over again in Feb-March or give up selling online altogether. I haven't decided yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't give it up. I will miss your tales of your finds and sales.

      Delete
    2. Come on Lorraine, don't say that. You just gotta source more. And if it's only costing you a few cents, why not just let them sit for a while (a longer while). I went thrifting yesterday, first time in a long time. I found some awesome stuff that I've super excited to list.

      Delete
    3. Oh, you're making me feel guilty now ladies! I'm sure I'll get the bug again. After all, I have my own office now. I have to put it to good use. Besides, I won't have any work as a lunch lady once school is out so I have to do something to make money.

      Delete
    4. yes Lorraine please don't give up :( I enjoy your stories too!

      Delete