Something finally clicked in my brain and lately I've been concentrating on finding good smalls. Why? Several reasons.
- I've been trying to get my workspace more organized and every time I bring in a big bag of new purchases I think to myself where is all of that going to go? Of course I don't think of that when I'm buying the stuff.
- When I'm doing my shipping it becomes apparent how much harder it is to package up large, heavy, bulky or weird shaped items. First you have to find a box that fits. Often you have to cut it down to be the right size.
- When I"m carrying a haul from the thrift store to my car and then from my car up the stairs and into my house it's so much easier when it's a nice light bag.
- It is usually easier on the pocket book.
- And lastly taking pictures of small items is also super easy.
I find it takes some more digging to find these items because good smalls are usually hidden under other smalls! But it's worth it when you find a hidden gem. Below are some recent small finds that I was happy to come across.
I bought this Beatrix Potter rubber stamp today for .50. I've got it listed for $21. It weighs just a few ounces. It will easily fit in a flat rate mailer or go first class.
I found this cute vintage scottie night light yesterday again for .50. I've got it listed for $25. Again it weighs a few ounces.
I have this vision that I don't think is realistic but is just a cool dream of only selling smalls. Everything would be neatly tucked away into drawers and cabinets and you wouldn't even be able to tell it was a workroom! Hah! With 1100 items currently in my inventory I don't really think that is possible but it makes for a pleasant daydream. What are some of your favorite smalls?
Edited to Add: So today I went to a rummage sale. Bought a few smalls that fit into a plastic grocery bag. And then I bought 4 vintage cast iron claw feet from a tub or stove……So starting tomorrow….