Thursday, July 30, 2015

It's A Keeper

I love hand blown drinking glasses but in the retail stores they are out of my price range. I break drinking glasses often. I hand wash my dishes and use lots of dish soap and it's not unusual for a glass to slip out of my hands and break. I'm also picky about glasses. Because I don't have a dishwasher and hand wash my dishes I want my hand to fit in my drinking glasses when I wash them so I can get them perfectly clean (yes I'm a little weird about it). Lately I've broken a few too many of my drinking glasses and was on the hunt for cheap replacements whenever I went thrifting. I purchased a couple that are 'fine'. They meet the requirement to fit my hand but are nothing special. But the other day the thrifting gods looked on me with favor and I found two hand blown green (one of my favorite colors) drinking glasses for a dollar a piece!!!!! I love them and hope they live a long life.  See below one of my new beauties. It's prettier in real life. It has swirled ridges around it like an old coke bottle.  Don't you love when you find something at a thrift store that you want but would normally not purchase for yourself? Please let me know in the comments what gifts the thrift store gods have put in your cart just for you.


And here is a little lesson in identifying when a glass item is hand blown. You will see a rough circle at the bottom of the item called a pontil. That is where the glass item met the blow tube. Below is a not very good picture I have of one from another hand blown glass that I have for sale in my store. 







4 comments:

  1. We like similar qualities is drinking glasses. We like the large hand-blown, blue-rimmed, a-hand-can-fit-in-it glasses that we can only find at Pier One. We buy a dozen at a time and always worry that they won't have them the next time we need them (They didn't one time!). We are doing ok for now, but the time may come when we need another dozen! lol They also have (had??? See? I'm worried!) some half-size ones, and we use those for the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen similar ones for sale on ebay if you ever need a new source :)

      Delete
  2. I really love the vintage wexford glasses and have been on the lookout for them for a couple of years. This year we scored and picked up a whole bunch of them. Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I looked those up to see what they look like. I think we had dessert dishes like that when I was a kid. My mom would serve pudding and jello in them.

      Delete