Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Mystery Item

This piece has a bakelite handle. It is about 8 12" long. The spoon part is about 3" long. I've tried to imagine what this is and searched ebay for anything similar but didn't find anything. The side is serrated and the spoon has holes so I imagine that it's purpose is to cut and strain something which isn't very large since the spoon part is only 3". Any ideas? Aspic?

I've sold some vintage bakelite utensils and they don't go for a whole lot with some exceptions but I just thought this was a cool tool and only 0.79 cents.

Edited to Add: 

After more searching on etsy I found a seller who called this a dumpling spoon. Anyone familiar with making dumplings? Would this be used to cut the uncooked dough and lower it into the soup? Google images had other similar spoons called the same thing. 




3 comments:

  1. I love kitchen gadgets! I've never seen nor heard of a dumplin spoon. The first and best chicken and dumplins I ever had was served by my (then) boyfriend's aunt in Wilmington, North Carolina years ago. They couldn't believe I'd never had any. I've had many servings of chicken and dumplins since but those were the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mouth is watering just thinking about good chicken and dumplings!

      Delete
  2. I make dumplings all the time, but I'm not familiar with the spoon..but it could certain be that.

    ReplyDelete