Saturday, October 12, 2013

How a Reseller is Born



From childhood on I always had an eye for weathered things. I don’t know where that eye came from because noone else in my family shared it. It wasn’t probably until I could drive that I first set foot in an actuall thrift store. I subscribed to Country Living magazine as a teen because I loved to look at all the old rusty décor. One of my first jobs out of high school was working at a thrift store in the sorting area. There I was able to really start buying as well. I worked there for about a year and moved on to other pursuits in life, going to college and getting a job with benefits but still I was drawn to the offbeat. I always had some sort of weirdness in my cubicle and at that time learned to shop on ebay. I decorated my first apartments with hand me downs and thrift store finds. I didn’t have much use for new even if I could afford it. I loved the idea of hunting for treasures. Fast forward several years. I continued to buy on ebay and sold a few things here and there mostly books I’d read. Then I discovered blogs. Some of the blogs I read focused on upcycling, living a thrifty life and one in particular introduced me to the concepts of reselling as a living. At the time my job was in jeopardy and the idea of reselling for a living was so much more appealing than going back to work for someone else. This was three years ago and I’ve been reselling this whole time. I’m not yet where I need to be to totally support my lifestyle through reselling but I’m still trying and I love it. It’s not just a way to put bread on the table. I like the idea of being kind to the earth by reusing items instead of sending them to overflowing landfills. It fits right in with my ideals. I also dislike the consumerist/materialistic society that we’ve become. Reusing things makes me feel I’m doing my part to go against that tide and I love that there are so many others out there, evident by their blogs, that are pursuing the same ideals.

No comments:

Post a Comment